Friday, August 22, 2014

Reflection 1

From my points of view, English writing is important to me as it is a basic living skill and can be very helpful at any points in life. Everyone in modern society is constantly connecting with others, where good writing skills can largely increase the efficiency of communication and eliminate potential cultural gaps. This will turn out even more crucial when I step into my future career and work together with people from different background.

As for my learning plan in the university, I identified some of the weak points that I could further work on based on my previous learning experience. On one hand, I will continue working on improving my listening abilities. To be more specific, I further categorized my activities according to different purposes, that is, for both academic purpose and daily use purpose. For example, I plan to watch two to three TED talks every week and reflect on the most appealing one or two in my English writing practices. Also, in order to be more proficient in understanding daily conversations and talk shows, I will enjoy a lot in watching the Daily Show and some American TV Series, such as the Big Bang Theory, in my leisure time.  On the other hand, reading is another aspect that I put much effort into consolidating. Having realized my limits in comprehending different genres of articles, I attempt to flexibly diverse my access to all-around sources of authentic literary works. Besides including various journals and reports, I may also cover some sketches, scientific papers, and short biography for outstanding figures. Some readings may be done only for entertaining purpose, but I think they will be really beneficial in the sense of enriching my reading experience.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jiahao,
    I second that notion that English is a very marketable language in the current business environment. Its good that you could see how English would value-add yourself in your career.

    With the plans you have in mind, I'm sure you would improve much more in due time.

    Perhaps you could do include more paragraphs to make the different points written more distinct. Apart from that, its a quite interesting read with action plans in place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jiahao,

    I agree with your statement of the importance of English writing and its relevance in the current society. Also, I really liked that you shared several actions that you would like to take such as your plan to watch TED talks every week. The descriptions were very detailed and I hope that these steps would help you in your English proficiency.

    Adding on the Wei Siang's feedback, I also agree that it would be better if you could split the second paragraph as it would better help the reader's flow in understanding the various activities in your learning plan.

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    Regards,
    Adila

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very well focused short essay, Jia Hao. I appreciate the concrete details in your learning plan and the way you address specific language needs. You've obviously reflected on your goals and on your needs, and you've developed a great action plan. Thanks for this superior effort!

    Here are a couple minor language issues to take note of:

    1) my points of view (usually a person only has one point of view)

    2) people from different background (plurality)

    ReplyDelete